The video of our last workshop is now available!
This workshop presented the technology pathways to deliver 450 GW of offshore wind in Europe. Our speakers identified how to scale-up offshore technology and successfully install and exploit these large volumes of offshore wind.
To become climate-neutral by 2050 the European Commission believes we will need 450 GW of offshore wind. Europe will need to significantly accelerate the installation rate of offshore wind energy over a sustained period. In 2019 Europe installed 3.6 GW of offshore wind per year. From 2030 onwards we will need to install almost 20 GW each year.
There are many challenges to realising the 450 GW offshore wind vision. The industry is gearing up for this challenge, but the supply chain requires long-term visibility on the volumes in order to make Final Investment Decisions and to ensure stable rates of manufacturing and installation. We need a holistic approach to designing offshore grids that integrates the latest state of the art technology.
At the same time Member States must set a clear regulatory framework to back-up the ambition. Coordinating maritime spatial planning at regional or European level will ensure a happy, safe and efficient co-existence of all maritime activities.
- Adrian Timbus, ETIPWind Executive Committee Chair and Peter Eecen, Coordinator EERA JP Wind : Introduction and opening statement
- Ignacio Martí, Secretary, IEA Wind TCP: Keynote presentation
The speakers were:
- Adrian Timbus, ETIPWind Executive Committee Chair
- Peter Eecen, Coordinator EERA JP Wind
- Ignacio Martí, Secretary, IEA Wind TCP
- Javier Sanz, Thematic Leader – Renewable Energies, EIT InnoEnergy
- Aidan Cronin, Advisory Specialist, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
- André Burdet, Head of Product, Management & Marketing Grid Integration, Hitachi ABB Power Grids
- Leif Delp, Head of Floating Offshore Wind Technology, Equinor
- Marie Berthelot, Head of Renewables, EDF R&D UK
- Katherine Dykes, Head of Section, Loads and Control, DTU Wind Energy
- Norela Constantinescu, Manager Research & Innovation, ENTSO-E
- Stavroula Petsa, Director, Head of Transformers & HV Components, Ørsted