The EU is already a world leader in offshore renewable energy production and technologies. And there is potential for further development cost-effectively. The purpose of this session is to explain how research and innovation technologies on Offshore Wind Power can contribute to the reshaping that needs the European Energy System to achieve 55% net reductions by 2030 and achieve climate neutrality by 2050.
To help meet this EU’s goal of climate neutrality by 2050, the EC presented the EU Strategy on Offshore Renewable Energy. The Strategy proposes to increase Europe’s offshore wind capacity from its current level of 12 GW to at least 60 GW by 2030 and to 300 GW by 2050 (in the EU-27). During the EUSEW, the session hosts presented and discussed the state-of-the-art technologies of Offshore Wind Power focused on the R&I collaborative and most innovative projects funded by the H2020 Programme. All of them are emblematic initiatives with pilots/demos in different European areas:
- ROMEO project: it develops advanced technological solutions that enable offshore wind power facilities’ operation and maintenance costs to be reduced:
- FLAGSHIP project: it will design and fabricate the first 10 MW Floating Offshore Wind Turbine (FOWT) assembled on a floating semi-submersible concrete structure in the Norwegian North Sea. The aim is to reduce the Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) for floating offshore wind to 40-60 €/MWh by 2030.
- ELICAN project: Cost-effective and groundbreaking) uses a gravity-based foundation configured to act as a buoyant platform that integrates an auto lift telescopic tower with the complete wind turbine.
Experts showcased and discussed the most innovative solutions in the offshore playground and how key players of the value chain and Technological Platforms collaborate to accelerate the development of the offshore capacity.
For further information read our news piece.
- EU Outlook on Offshore Energy Research, Carlos Eduardo Lima da Cunha, European Commission
- ROMEO Project, Reliable OM decisions tools and strategies for high LCOE reduction on offshore wind, César Yánes, Iberdrola
- FLAGSHIP Project, New Horizon for Offshore Wind Energy Optimisation, Isabel Victorero, ScottishPower
- ELICAN Project, Javier Nieto, ESTEYCO
Moderator: Vasiliki Klonari, ETIPWind – Senior Analyst System Integration and digitalisation, WindEurope
Panel discussion and Q&A Slido
Moderator: Vasiliki Klonari, ETIPWind – Senior Analyst System Integration and Digitalisation, WindEurope
Wrap up and conclusions